Friday, March 5, 2010

Milton, CWA and Lemon Curd = Perfection

Or

The Search for the Perfect Sponge





I love a rainy day. I love the smell, I love the temperature, I love how the garden looks greener and I love that I can have my oven on all day and not feel like im about to evaporate. So today, when the temperature dropped and the rain set in, I decided to continue my quest to make the perfect sponge cake.

Now, im going in blind here as I cant really remember the last time I ate an amazing sponge cake, or any sponge cake at all. But after purchasing the Country Women's Association Cakes Cookbook from a pretty little shop in Milton on the weekend, I felt it was my civic duty to attempt their sponge cake recipes. Notoriously difficult to perfect, its a recipe ive shied away from for many years. However, with four different sponge cake recipes supplied in this cookbook from seasoned bakers all around the country, I felt I was under good instruction. Thus began my quest for the perfect sponge.

Attempts #1 and #2 were marred by sinking centers and much too crunchy crusts.

Today marked Attempt #3.
Operation: Beat Eggs and Sugar Much Longer
Success: Marginal

I was impressed by how much this cake rose after significantly increasing the beating time of the eggs and sugar. However, im still not convinced that this is the best it can be. The cake still comes out with a crusty edge and its a little too dry for my liking. The only super amazing thing about this creation was... no surprise... Stephanie Alexander's Lemon Curd.



Amazing. Even though it didnt thicken enough to allow me to put a substantial amount inside the cake... the taste more than makes up for that. Just amazing. The Lemon Cupcakes below should take heed.

However, I feel the necessity for Attempt #4 any suggestions for the Perfect Sponge?


EDIT: Until I work out how to post these recipes without breaching copyright, I wont post them. Hoping to in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment